Moderna vaccine is a covid 19 vaccine that helps to build immunity against coronavirus infection. So it gives us protection against covid 19 illness.
Moderna Vaccine made by
Moderna Vaccine is made by Moderna TX, Inc.
Moderna Vaccine type
Similar like Covishield and Covaxin covid 19 vaccine Moderna Vaccine is also a mRNA type vaccine. In such vaccines, the genetically engineered mRNA technology is used to effectively act against covid 19 infection. There is no approved DNA vaccines of Covid 19 are available to date. But the only DNA vaccine of covid 19 ZYCOV-D is in the final trial phase and waiting for its approval.
Moderna Vaccine Dose
The moderna covid 19 vaccine is a two dose vaccine. Each dose contains 0.5 ml of the vaccine.
The vaccine is given through an intramuscular route into the muscles of the upper arm, preferably in the deltoid muscle.
Interchangeability of Moderna Vaccine
Similar to Covishield and Covaxin The person who receives the Moderna covid 19 vaccine for the first dose should take the second dose of only the Moderna vaccine. The person should not take other covid 19 vaccine as a second dose. Here it is important to mention for Sputnik V this same rule is applied. But in Sputnik V different composition is used in two different doses.
The person who takes the covid 19 Moderna vaccine should also take the second dose to complete the vaccine regimen.
Moderna Vaccine Time Between Doses
The second dose is given 1 month after the first dose. So the time gap between the two doses of the Moderna vaccine is 1 month.
Moderna Vaccine Ingredients
Moderna vaccine contains the following-
- Messenger ribonucleic acid (mRNA)
- Lipids [SM-102, polyethylene glycol (PEG) 2000 dimyristoyl glycerol (DMG), cholesterol, and 1,2-distearoyl-sn-glycero-3-phosphocholine (DSPC)]
- Tromethamine hydrochloride
- Acetic acid
- Sodium acetate trihydrate
The Moderna covid 19 vaccine is a white to off-white suspension due to its white or translucent product-related particulates.
Moderna Vaccine Efficacy
Clinical trial results show moderna vaccine is 94.1% effective to prevent laboratory confirmed covid 19 infection. In people older than 18 years who received two doses of moderna vaccine and was not previously infected with covid 19.
Vaccine is also highly effective in people with underlying medical conditions like lung disease, heart disease, obesity, diabetics, lever disease etc.
Who should receive Moderna Vaccine?
Moderna vaccine can be received by persons older than 18 years of age.
FDA has authorized the emergency use of Moderna vaccine to persons who are above 18 years old. As per clinical trial reports Moderna Vaccine is safe for older adults. The clinical trials also indicate that this vaccine is apparently safe for the people with comorbidity.
To get the maximum benefits from your vaccine you can follow 7 essential steps before and after your vaccination.
What should you mention to your vaccination provider before you get the moderna covid 19 vaccine?
Inform your vaccination provider if you have any underlying medical conditions such as
- If you have any allergies
- If you have inflammation of your heart muscle (myocarditis) or if you have inflammation of the lining outside of your heart (pericarditis)
- If you have a fever
- If you have any bleeding disorder or if you are on any blood thinner
- If you are having weak immunity (Immunocompromised) or if you are under any medicine that can weaken or affect your immune system
- If you are pregnant or are planning to become pregnant
- If you are breastfeeding
- If you have already received other covid 19 vaccine
Who should not get the Moderna Vaccine?
You should not receive Moderna vaccine if you
Experienced a severe allergic reaction after a previous dose of Moderna vaccine
Experienced severe allergic reactions to any ingredients of this moderna vaccine
Moderna Vaccine Ingredients
Has the moderna covid 19 vaccine been used before?
The moderna covid19 vaccine is unapproved. In clinical trials, 15400 persons approximately who are older than 18 years have received at least one dose of the moderna covid 19 vaccine.
Moderna Vaccine Benefits
Moderna vaccine is given with an aim to prevent coronavirus infection. In an ongoing clinical trial, this vaccine has been shown to prevent covid 19 after the two doses of vaccine given in one month interval. The duration of protection against covid 19 illness is currently unknown. Research is ongoing in this regard.
Moderna Vaccine Side Effects
Side effects that are reported in a clinical trial with the Moderna vaccine are
1. Injection site reactions including swelling and redness at the injection site, pain, tenderness, and swelling of the lymph node in the arm where the injection is given.
2. General side effects including fatigue, headache, muscle pain, joint pain, fever, chills, nausea, vomiting.
These may not be all the possible side effects of moderna vaccine. This vaccine is still under study in clinical trials. Any other adverse effects not mentioned above can occur. Serious and unexpected side effects may also occur.
Who can get the side effects and what kind of side effects one can experience can not be predicted before. Side effects vary from person to person. Some people experience mild side effects, some experience moderate side effects, and very few experience severe side effects.
If you experience any severe side effects or the side effects that are of concern, you should seek immediate medical help without a delay.
Moderna Vaccine Risks
- Rarely, Moderna covid 19 vaccine can cause a severe allergic reaction. A severe allergic reaction can occur within a few minutes to one hour after getting the shot of the moderna vaccine. Signs of a severe allergic reaction are-
- Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
- Swelling of your face and/ or throat
- Fast heartbeat
- Rash all over your body
So it is very important to stay at the vaccination place for 45 minutes to one hour, so if you experience any allergic reaction you can get treated immediately.
2. Inflammation of the heart muscle ( myocarditis) and inflammation of the lining outside the heart ( pericarditis) have occurred in some people who took the shot of Moderna vaccine.
Mostly the symptoms begin within a few days after getting the second dose of Moderna vaccine. Though the chance to get these side effects is very low, still if you have the following symptoms, you should seek immediate medical help. The symptoms are
Chest pain, Shortness of breath, A feeling of fast beating, pounding, or fluttering heart.
Just like other covid 19 vaccines, Moderna Vaccine also got the emergency use permit to beat the pandemic. Trial phase is going on, so more research is needed to give any final conclusion about the long term safety. As of now, data shows this vaccine is apparently safe just like Covishiled, Covaxin, Sputnik V and Pfizer vaccines, Johnson and Johnson Covid Vaccine. Based on your health condition decide which vaccine is suitable for you and vaccinate yourself. You may check our other vaccine articles before taking any final decision.
Can the Moderna Vaccine give covid 19 infection?
No, The Moderna Vaccine does not contain SARS-CoV-2 or coronavirus. So it can not give you covid 19 infection after vaccination.