Amusement drugs come in news very frequently. So people know the names of amusement drugs like MDMA. MDMA drugs also known as Ecstasy or Molly. Amusement drugs are banned in various countries worldwide, even in USA many provinces have restrictions on amusement drugs. But why such restrictions? What amusement drugs like MDMA do in our body? Are they just addictive products? Not really. To know the impact of MDMA (Ecstasy/Molly) in our body it is important to know MDMA in details. So check out here
What Is MDMA (Ecstasy/Molly)
MDMA is a synthetic drug. It alters mood and perception (Awarness of surrounding objects and conditions). It has chemical similarity with both stimulants and hallucinogens, produces the feeling of increased energy, pleasure, emotional warmth,distorted sensory and time perception. The drug combines the effects of stimulant amphetamine and hallucinogen mescaline.
MDMA is usually taken as capsule or tablet. It can be swallowed as liquid form or snort the powder.
Sometime MDMA is taken with other drugs as a combination such as alcohol or marijuana.
MDMA (Ecstasy/Molly) Effects
MDMA Effect On Brain
MDMA increase the activity of the following brain chemicals
- Dopamine– It produces increased energy/activity, acts in the reward system to reinforce behavior.
- Norepinephrine– It increases heart rate, blood pressure. It is particularly risky for people who has heart problems and blood vessel problems.
- Serotonin– It affects mood, sleep, appetite and other functions. It triggers hormones that causes sexual arousal and trust. Large amount of serotonin release causes emotional closeness, elevated mood, and empathy felt by those who use MDMA.
MDMA Health Effects
Other health effects of MDMA are the following
- Muscle cramps
- Involuntary teeth clenching
- Blurred vision
Effects of MDMA lasts about 3 to 6 hours, so many users take the second dose when the first dose effects starts to fade. When a person use moderate amount of drug, over the course of the week the following symptoms one may experience
- Impulsiveness and aggression
- Sleep problems
- Memory and attention problems
- Decreased appetite
- Decreased interest and pleasure from sex.
- Ataxia or loss of full control of bodily movements
The above mentioned symptoms may also be due to combined use of MDMA with other drugs, especially marijuana.
High doses of MDMA affects the normal regulations of body temperature. So can cause a spike of body temperature that can occasionally result in liver, kidney, or heart failure or even death.
Also, as MDMA promotes trust and closeness, it’s use especially combined with sildenafil may encourage unsafe sexual behavior. As a result, it also increases the chances to contract or transmitting HIV/AIDS or hepatitis.
MDMA (Ecstasy/Molly) Addiction Sign
Most people who use ecstasy or Molly experience increased energy and enhanced self confidence, believing that everyone around them is their friend. This is one of the devastating sign of MDMA use. Other common signs of ecstasy use are
- Increased positive sensations
- Heightened sensory perception
- Increased capacity for empathy
- Dilated pupil
- Unnatural, long lasting energy
- Inability to feel, or reduced sense of pain
- Desire to touch or to be touched
- Changes in sleeping habits
- Staying awake for days at a time
- Teeth clenching
- Muscle tension
- Dry mouth
- Mild confusion
- Excessive sweating
- Feeling in love with person they are with, even if there is no personal history
- A sense of euphoria
- Heightened emotions
- Reduced anxiety and depression
MDMA (Ecstasy/Molly) Dangers
It is responsible for many deaths and thousands of hospital visits each year. The leading cause of death is hyperthermia or overheating. Users are at high risk of becoming dehydrated or overheating that eventually cause the organs to stop functioning if no treatment is given within time. Sometime, undiagnosed heart defects can be aggravated by the effects of the drug, causing heart failure. There are many other side effects, both short term as well as long term.
The most dangerous fact is that MDMA is mixed with cocaine, heroin, caffeine, rat poison, etc. so the actual effects are hard to predict.
When the peak effects of ecstasy begin to decrease, users sometimes take more ecstasy to increase and return the peak euphoric effects of the drug. Users take more ecstasy to avoid “The Crash”, that results the following symptoms
Not only that, users can become aggressive and have insomnia, significant appetite loss, memory loss, difficulty concentrating. Repeated use of this ecstasy cause altered brain chemicals, as a result severe mood swings can also occur.
Immediate Side Effects of MDMA (Ecstasy/Molly) Abuse
Immediate side effects are the effects that the user feels when the user is still under the influence of the drug or after they come down from their high. The common side effects are
- Impaired judgement
- Trouble sleeping
- Muscle tension
- Blurred vision
- Teeth clenching
MDMA (Ecstasy/Molly) Long Term Side Effects
Long term effects of MDMA are the following
- Compulsive behavior
- Neglect of important responsibilities such as work, school, commitments, and relationships.
- Dangerous behavior and illegal activities
Continued use of ecstasy can confuse the brains reward and pleasure centers, not only that, it also damages the nerves,the brain, and other vital organs. The long term side effects are also the following
- Nerve degeneration
- Depression, anxiety, memory loss
- Kidney failure
- Long lasting brain damage
- Cardiovascular collapse
- Difficulties with executive processing, problem solving,logical reasoning, emotional intelligence, overall mental dysfunction. Regular use of ecstasy even cause trouble in regulating emotions or feeling any kind of pleasure. Suicidal thoughts, behaviors, and actions can be the unfortunate result of ecstasy withdrawal. Medical supervised detox is highly recommended when coming off of ecstasy.
Recent research suggests that, even after only brief exposure of ecstasy, brain damage occurs. Most importantly, this damage can last for many years. Long term effects can cause severe brain damage.
MDMA (Ecstasy/Molly) Withdrawal Symptoms
Withdrawal symptoms of MDMA are-
- Loss of appetite,
- Trouble concentratin
There are no specific medical treatments for MDMA addiction. Some people found behavioral therapy helpful. But it is very important to seek de-addiction treatment which is apparently very tough to stick with. Also once you take these amusement drugs makes permanent changes in your body that are irreversible.
So what is the ultimate point? Point is if one starts taking MDMA there is no escape and the future of the addictive is really very pitiful! The saddest part is one who takes the MDMA, initially feels pleasure then it gives extreme depression, in reality they went from bad to worst that they can not even recognize. For their family, loved ones it is more than a nightmare.
It is vital to know, for the drug addictive, one even can understand the negative impact, mostly can not withdraw it. Also mostly the ultimate fate is the death. The addictive person only dies, but the rest family suffers economical, social hazards.
As a whole, amusement drugs can singly destroy a complete family. That is why it is banned in countries by the Governments, just to save the society, the human resources. So before going to take any amusement drugs, please think about yourself, your loved ones. Stay away from it. Life is beautiful till you are live. Stay happy and healthy.