Blood loss simply means when loss of blood occurs due to any reason. Blood in our body flows within the blood vessel. So when the blood comes outside of the blood vessel, then it is blood loss.
Blood loss is not wanted. All of us have faced this situation at any point in our life when bleeding, that is, blood loss occurred. If Blood loss occurs suddenly, then it is acute blood loss, and when blood loss occurs from many days, it is chronic blood loss.
When there is any bleeding, blood loss occurs. Our body tries to stop the bleeding. When the injury is major and the body is unable to stop the bleeding, then a threatening life situation occurs.
Blood loss due to small cuts, minor injury usually requires no major treatment. Only first aid is sufficient in minor injuries. Bleeding usually stops within 2-3 minutes and poses no threat. But if the bleeding does not stop, then immediate medical attention is needed.
Blood Loss Significance
Blood loss is not a wanted situation. If there is blood loss, the following happens
- Through blood loss, our red blood cells, white blood cells, platelets, all electrolytes, macroelements, and microelements of blood are also lost. So it affects our internal body via various mechanisms.
- If there is a significant loss of blood, blood volume decreases. So our heart does not get enough blood to pump. As a result, shock occurs. It can be life threatening.
- When blood loss occurs for many days, there is chronic loss of blood elements. So deficiency of that elements arises. As a result, various medical issues arise.
- As red blood cells decrease through blood loss, hemoglobin also decreases. The body takes some time to produce new hemoglobin to replace the lost. So in this time period, the oxygen carrying capacity of blood gets hampered. one may not get enough oxygen as per requirement.
- Suppose the loss of platelets is more through bleeding, then the chances of bleeding increase. Because platelets help to stop the bleeding along with red blood cells.
- If the patient already has anemia or has low levels of platelets in the blood, then the effect of blood loss is more detrimental.
- If one is more prone to blood loss due to any medical condition, then one can take bleeding precautions to avoid blood loss.
- Sometimes, blood loss is to save our life. Especially when sudden high blood pressure arises, blood comes up outside through the nose and mouth to reduce the blood pressure. It is a life saving mechanism of the body to save our life. In this situation, blood loss is a life savior mechanism.
- Blood loss occurs due to a physical mechanism that is menstruation in the woman. Here blood loss is a normal mechanism of the body. But if it happens for a prolonged time or occurs heavily, you should seek medical help.
Blood Loss Sources
Blood loss can be external or internal. External blood loss means when the blood loss occurs through outside of body parts. This loss of blood is visible; that is, we can see the bleeding spot. In internal blood loss, blood loss occurs inside the body, so we can not see the bleeding site.
Various medical conditions can cause blood loss. Sources of blood loss are the following
|Blood Loss Sources|
|1. ALIMENTARY TRACT|
1.3 Stomach and duodenum
Leiomyoma (Ménétrier disease)
Antral vascular ectasia
1.4 Small intestine
1.5 Colon and anorectal
2. BILIARY TRACT
3. GENITOURINARY TRACT
4. RESPIRATORY TRACT
Idiopathic pulmonary hemosiderosis
Blood loss can be minor or major. Usually, minor blood loss needs first aid. But significant blood loss needs immediate medical attention. Indeed, Blood loss is a serious issue. Various conditions can cause blood loss. We should be more cautious to prevent blood loss. Never hesitate to seek medical help if the bleeding does not stop. Stay healthy and happy.